Saturday, August 27, 2016

How to Pass Up a Party

I want to address the issue of "appropriate manners" when it comes to being invited to something you simply do not want to attend. I never get invited to anything. So I rarely have to practice my own advice. But if you watch the Real Housewives franchise, which I do from time to time (only to better understand their choice of wigs and gowns) I notice that parties are a large part of female socialization. But who has time to get dressed up for ever Cinderella ball in town? There's banquets, there's birthdays, there's auctions, there's after work drinks, I can't keep up! The only way to not feel over committed is to simply pick up the phone and tell the host that you aren't coming because NOT EVERY MOMENT NEEDS TO BE CELEBRATED! As you get older it becomes crystal clear that no one gives rats tail if you celebrated a promotion at work! When I successfully pick up all the leaves in my yard and burn them I don't invite my neighbors over for a bonfire. We don't need to kumbaya so I can feel accomplished in my life. Tell your host that if they need your approval (and a gift might I add) they should consider therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment